Pages

Friday, October 22, 2010

My All Indian Identity Crisis.

Wow its been more than 2 years since I have blogged over here but I hope I can write more often from now on.
I recently read a beautiful article about Mumbai and all its craziness which made me go back and relive all the fun/traumatic experiences I have had in this city that I call home. Then thoughts diverged and I scrambled about all my experiences in India in all the different places I have lived in.
Now, I am ethnically from the state of Tamil Nadu in India, and I have lived there for at least 8 years. But the rest of my life has been in Mumbai. And like all the people who were brought up in Mumbai, I LOVE IT. There is something about this mixed Identity that I have come to love and cherish. All my life in Mumbai to all my wonderful friends I was always the south Indian dude who could swear at them in languages they did not comprehend or care enough to differentiate between. But at the same time to all my friends in Chennai and college at SASTRA I was always the guy who was madly in love with Mumbai and could not stop raving about it. All of this is my Identity. None any more separable from who I am. I am as willing to goto a Rajnikanth movie and scream at the top of my voice as I am to get wet in a rain that most people would be scared to even look at. I am as addicted to sambar as I am to the sandwiches on the roadside of Mumbai.
The best part is that this is the story of a large number of Indians at different extents. And often I have seen many people giving up one of their inclinations to belong to the other or to simply fit in where they live or what they like. Not that its wrong or anything but why be one when you can be all! Isnt that the beauty of the mosaic that is our country? I have always tried to be all that I am and I love it. After all how many people can boast of being able to handle the Chennai's busses AND the Mumbai's Trains!
**this short self centered post is to inspire me to write more and hopefully I will write on more varied topics later! **

5 comments:

Unknown said...

vadapav and molaga bajji , Queens necklace and Big temple, Dorapandi anna and Saleem bhai ...lol

nidhi said...

Yeah I guess you should write more blogs...I like reading the stuff you write..

Bhargav Rajan said...

Nice read dude. Keep at it!

I recommend Shashi Tharoor. His books/articles are about India's pluralism. And 'In spite of the Gods', on the same lines as the Bombay-Aussie article.

Keep 'em coming!

And enable non-Google comments!

SephiRoth said...

Thanks guys!
@nids yeah I'll try an write more
@ gay thanks machi, will check the book out.

Wini said...

Hehe AndE :) You are cute! Write more.